LACA announces plans for National School Meals Week
The event coincides with the popular TV programme ‘I’m a Celebrity’ and children can collect stars as they stay for meals throughout the week. As well as the trial there are five new theme days to adapt and run.
The promotions don’t have to be hard work, schools can be as creative as they like or run them alongside their own menus with meat free days and roast dinner day.
The five themed days include:
- Mix it up Monday - LACA are asking schools to create a fun day with a menu packed with fruit and vegetables. It is a great opportunity to demonstrate that vegetarian dishes are exciting and tasty.
- Food = Fuel (for learning, work and play) - Following the disruption to education over the past 18 months, the importance of nutrition and education should never be underestimated. LACA are asking school caterers to create a menu and showcase all the important food groups, protein for strong bones and body, carbohydrates for energy.
- Ahhhhh The Great British Roast Dinner - This day highlights local produce and farm assured meats, plus a vegetarian alternative to keep the day inclusive for all children. The roast lunch remains one of the highlights of the school menu each week.
- Plant Based Power Lunch - Choosing plant-based days on a school menu can have a positive impact on the environment and the wellbeing of children.
- School Food Challenge - The last day of the week is a fun day to educate children where their food comes from and how it is grown. It is a great opportunity for school caterers to create dishes with hidden fruits and vegetables to help children achieve their five a day. This event will also teach children about farming too.
NSMW aims to show parents and students what a modern day school meal actually looks and tastes like. The week long campaign also aims to get as many children back to eating and enjoying hot school lunches.
For more information and to access over 50 NSMW resources, visit here.
Don’t forget to plan and get involved on social media too:
- Facebook @nationalschoolmealsweek
- Twitter @NSMW @LACA_UK
- Instagram #nationalschoolmealsweek @laca_uk
- Use the hashtags #NSMW2021 #LACA_UK #tasteforyourself #schooltuckertrial