LACA begins plans for NSMW 2019
Celebrating its Silver Jubilee last year, for 25 years LACA has worked to promote school food and the work continues as it ‘showcases’ the benefits, values and nutritional value of a ‘modern day’ school lunch.
Neil Porter, LACA Chair of Events said: “I can’t believe NSMW has now been running for 25 years. 2018 was a real highlight culminating in a well-attended school meals showcase at the Palace of Westminster.
“As LACA celebrates its 30th year, the important task of promoting all we do within our fantastic industry continues, and we are working hard to make sure this year’s activities are once again appealing, relevant and well supported.
“Thanks as always goes to our members who get involved in the weeks activities, supporting both regional and national initiatives. To keep in touch with what’s happening, remember to check in at www.nsmw.org.uk and link to us on Twitter and Facebook”
So what’s happening in NSMW 2019?
- LACA is taking School Meals ‘back on the road’ with its ‘Taste For Yourself’ messaging. Plans are in the early stages but it will tour England and Wales, and at stops along the way invite parents, journalists, dignitaries and the public at large to enjoy some freshly prepared school food. It will take the opportunity to promote some of the less well known facts about a school lunch and tackle outdated perceptions.
- You will soon start to see its ‘#30 people, 30 stories’ campaign. Meet the ‘school meals heroes’ involved in putting a school lunch on the table - from the Farmer to the Delivery Driver, the Cook to the Kitchen Assistant, the School Secretary to the Midday Assistant – you are all heroes.
- ‘Taste for yourself’ will be a school based initiative to encourage pupils who currently don’t take a school meal to try one – a number of Infant Pupils still choose not to have a meal, despite them being free. For older pupils, often the barrier is misconceptions and LACA are keen to make sure pupils know what is available to them.
- ‘Move it with LACA‘ - LACA will be creating a number of initiatives to get pupils moving during NSMW, this will be tied in with the ‘daily mile’ campaign which is so popular in schools.
- MPs and Peers will have the opportunity to ‘Taste for themselves’ as well as it plans to serve a school lunch at the Palace of Westminster – as has become the norm over the past 4 – 5 years, LACA will use NSMW as a platform to communicate important messages at the highest level.
- There will be the usual array of theme days and activities for school caterers to download